Henry Carus + Associates | Injury Lawyers

Do I Need a Lawyer to Deal with the TAC?

motor vehicle accident lawyers victoria

If you suffer an injury in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria, you can make a claim to the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). It seems like a straightforward process, but sometimes the importance of the information required on the TAC claim form and how it is provided may not be fully understood. It’s therefore strongly advised that you seek the help of a specialist personal injury lawyer to receive the best possible outcome for your claim.

Who is the TAC?

The TAC is a government organisation that deals with claims relating to motor accidents and determines compensation available for treatment and other services. They have been in operation since 1986 and, over the years, information requirements have become much more stringent throughout the claim process.

What do I do if I’ve had an accident?

The first thing that you should do if you have had an accident is report it to the police. This is critical as the TAC legislation requires an accident be reported to the police before the claim can be accepted.

If the accident involves public transport such as a bus or tram, you should also report it to the relevant organisation.

A claim should be submitted to the TAC as soon as possible after an accident has occurred. This can be done via telephone, and a consultant will ask you questions about the accident. Keeping your descriptions concise and simple is also important during this stage.

While it may appear that the actual process begins with the TAC claim, it is advisable to consult a specialist lawyer as early on as possible. If this cannot be done sooner than the previous stages described, then engaging with a lawyer after making the TAC claim is still wise, particularly if you have kept your descriptions short. Many people don’t realise that they can engage a lawyer to help them deal with the TAC.

Why do I need a lawyer?

The application process and resulting claims process involves some intricacies which are best handled by a qualified personal injury lawyer to ensure a smooth process and, most importantly, an optimal outcome for you. A personal injury lawyer can help you understand the options available and brief you on how to deal with the TAC when submitting your claim.

It is important to understand that the TAC operates in two separate roles. At the time of submitting your claim, the TAC is there to aid you with no fault benefits. Later on, the TAC will essentially operate as a commercial insurer, using whatever information it can to diminish the value of your compensation claim. A lawyer will help you draft your claim so that you can receive the best possible outcome.

A good lawyer will also know about the extensive no-fault benefits available, which can help you over the course of your recovery and for the rest of your life. Since an appropriate personal injury lawyer understands the entire process and the factors affecting it, they can also guide you on what extent to claim.

Using a lawyer that you trust will aid your chances of a clear and effective application to the TAC while achieving an outcome as early as possible. A lawyer will also be able to help prepare your case using evidence provided, therefore maximising your chances of a good result with the TAC.

So if you’ve been in a motor vehicle accident in Victoria and need to submit a claim to the TAC, get in touch with a specialist personal injury lawyer today and see how they can help you receive the best outcome possible.