OFFICE LOCATION: MELBOURNE CBD
Our firm seeks an experienced Medical Negligence Lawyer with five (5) years’ plus post admission experience in medical negligence law. Ideally a lawyer from a well-regarded Victorian plaintiff practice, or an experienced lawyer from a defendant firm with relevant experience, and a desire to move to a plaintiff firm.
Our firm prides itself on being aggressive in the pursuit of compensation on behalf of clients, and we are looking for a person willing to seek the best possible outcomes for our clients.
This role offers the opportunity to work in a friendly and down to earth working environment, with reasonable hours with a good work/life balance.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Personal Injury Lawyer position specialising in Medical Negligence matters. In this role, responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
- Manage files that are in the pre-litigation and litigation process, in a prompt and timely fashion to ensure the best possible outcome;
- Comply with HCA New Client process;
- Work with clients to facilitate their understanding of the law and the likely outcomes of their matters;
- Draft court documents and letters tailored to the clients’ individual needs;
- Negotiate with clients and other professionals to secure agreed objectives;
- Research and analyse documents and case law to ensure the accuracy of advice and procedure;
- Coordinate the work of all parties involved;
- Correspond with clients and opposing parties;
- Instruct barristers or specialist advocates to appear in court for the client in complex disputes;
- Arrange and attend further client meetings where necessary to progress with the case and finalise documentation;
- Calculate claims for damages, compensation, maintenance, etc.;
- Administrative duties, for example completing file notes and action sheets so that charges for work can be calculated, for work done on behalf of clients;
- Take referrals from other firms of solicitors when a conflict of interest arises, or if they have no specialist practitioner available;
- Keep up to date with changes and developments in the law by reading journals and law reports;
- Work with third parties to maintain and improve the reputation of the firm;
- Assist in the marketing of the firm;
- Regularly engage in learning activities, legal and otherwise, to improve your performance (along with CPD activities); and
- Potentially engage in team leadership functions, such as:
- Assist with the supervision of a small team of graduate and junior lawyers and support staff;
- help with team training and development where appropriate; and
- work together with management to ensure good employee relations are maintained.
- Undertake all care and conduct of legal and administrative matters as directed by Henry Carus.
The successful applicant will have the following experience and skills:
- A minimum five 5 years’ PAE as a medical negligence lawyer, or in a similar role;
- A Bachelor’s degree in Law, or related field of study;
- Admission to Practice Law in the Supreme Court of Victoria;
- A current Practising Certificate or an undertaking to update the certificate;
- IT skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, especially Excel, Word, and Outlook;
- Fine-tuned communication skills with varying levels within a company; and
- Leadership ability, and a highly organised approach to leadership.
Please provide a full cover letter and resume to the manager to be considered for this role.
POSITION STATUS: FULL TIME
We understand the juggle of work-life balance. Some flexibility in hours may be considered.
Salary will be commensurate on experience.
Manager Name : Peta Gould
Position: Head of People Operations
Email Address: [email protected]