Henry Carus + Associates | Injury Lawyers

Even If?

you have a personal injury claim if you are older

There are many different reasons why people hesitate to call a solicitor after they have been injured. We call these ‘Even If’ questions.

The most common “Even If” question we hear is “Should I call Even If I am Old? Or Do I have a claim Even If I don’t work and I am retired?

The answer is yes, even if you’re a 100 years old you can claim. There is no age limit to making a personal injury claim. The only difference between your claim and someone younger is that your injuries will impact you differently – but that is the same with every claim.

Everyone’s claim is different because everyone is different. If you are young and injured you will have to live with the injuries longer but you may also recover better. If you are older the same injuries may not heal so well and you may need more help because of your injuries which you are entitled to this because you are older and therefore need it.

We were very pleased to see the court recently awarded a 92-year-old gentleman $110,000 for his pain and suffering plus $105,000 for the additional care he requires due to his injuries.

Should I call even if I didn’t have a single “accident” at work but pain developed over time?

Yes, often work places require a worker to do the same job or task over and over and over again. Repetitive work is not good for our bodies. Which is why your employer should rotate your duties so you do a variety of tasks. There is even legislation which directs employers in this regard to help prevent the sort of injuries that are caused by doing the same action over and over again. These injuries are very common for people who work in factories or on a production line. The injury that often results is known as Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI). It can be a very painful injury that can resolve with rest but sometimes does not.

Should I call Even If I have not reported the injury?

Yes. This often happens when there is a slip, trip or fall in a public place. Many of our clients have called after a fall, slip or trip whilst shopping. Often these types of accidents occur in a supermarket, and they more often than not are caused by a spillage on the shop floor or produce such as grapes on the floor. Sometimes the first thought you have when you slip in a public place is how embarrassing! Which means you may not report the accident straight away.

Should I call Even If my accident was a long time ago?

Accidents that change with timeYes, and as soon as possible as the general rule is that you need to make your claim within 3 or 6 years of the date you were injured, depending on the type of accident. But the law can also be very kind to an injured person and extend the time to seek compensation in many situations. To find out if such support is available in your situation, you should seek expert legal advice as soon as possible.

Even If you don’t think we will be able to help for any reason, why not call and find out?

We look forward to hearing from you.