More Than 30 Years Experience Representing Clients’ Public Liability Claims.
If you have been hurt in an accident through no fault of your own in a public space – and it didn’t involve a motor vehicle or a workplace incident – you may be entitled to claim compensation for your losses through a public liability claim. The lawyers at the Melbourne law firm Henry Carus + Associates have the expertise and the commitment necessary to secure the money you need and deserve for your accident in a public space.
With over 30 years of experience working on public accident cases, we have in the past represented numerous insurance companies (both commercial and domestic) and government agencies in Australia and the US. This experience has given us unique knowledge and insight from which to build your case.
Natasha came to us after a fall at a hardware superstore in Cranbourne. She had consulted another law firm who did not wish to take on her matter, as they did not believe she could win. We told her we could win for her.
At the time of her accident in June 2014, Natasha was a 33 year old mother of 3. She was walking in between two stacks of wooden pallet in an aisle at the hardware superstore when she tripped and fell on a pallet and suffered a nasty double fracture and dislocation of her left ankle.
Natasha had to undergo surgery and needed a metal plate and screws inserting in her left ankle and as such she had to resign her job as a personal care attendant and had great difficulties caring for her young children. To make matters even more difficult for her, shortly after her surgery Natasha became pregnant with her fourth child and had to cope with the discomfort of her injuries on…Read Success Story »
Led by experienced litigator Henry Carus, the team understands what it means to take a matter to court, and knows the matters that have the best chance of achieving a positive outcome before a jury.
To put things in perspective, we took on a public accident case that was about to be settled for $40,000. Believing this not to be an adequate compensation amount, we worked hard on the case for a year and secured our client a massive $400,000 in compensation.
How Public Injury Claims Work
Why choose Henry Carus + Associates For Your Public Liability Claims?
98% of our clients win their cases, with some getting up to five times their initial offer.
As a small firm dedicated to each client, we see every case as important. Our principal, Henry Carus, is involved in every matter in the firm.
Over the years we’ve helped win compensation cases in a diverse range of areas including public accidents, including slips trips and falls, defective premises, sports injuries, inappropriate conduct by security guards, defective restaurant equipment and more.
Learn More About Public Liability Claims
Who’s Responsible for Your Injury?
Individuals, companies, government agencies and others who own or control public spaces like shopping centres, parks and schoolyards may be held responsible for accidents that result from their negligence, or failure to maintain reasonably safe conditions.
Parties such as pet owners, sports and entertainment organisers, construction companies, transit organisations, and tour operators may also be responsible for injuries caused in an accident related to an activity rather than the physical condition of property.
Most of the time, it is the responsible party’s insurer that actually pays the claim.
What types of accidents can give rise to a public liability claim? Here are few examples:
- A supermarket customer slips and falls in a puddle created by a freezer that had been leaking water all day.
- A child gets hurt on unsafe playground equipment in a community park that was poorly maintained..
- Spoiled food makes a restaurant patron seriously ill.
- A jogger is bitten by a vicious dog whose owner failed to control the animal.
- A pedestrian trips over uneven pavement on a footpath on a neighbourhood street.
- A young athlete suffers injuries caused by improperly maintained sports facilities.
- A guest is the victim of a sexual assault in a hotel hallway that had inadequate lighting to deter crime.
- A poorly maintained balcony collapses at an apartment building, injuring tenants and their guests who were on it.
- A tourist drowns on a diving excursion because the guides handled the equipment improperly.
- Passengers are injured in an airplane, train or boat accident caused by operator negligence.
- A concert-goer is injured when a drunken brawl breaks out because the arena didn’t have enough crowd control.
These are just a sample of the virtually endless scenarios that could result in a compensable public liability claim.
What Type of Compensation Could You Recover?
A successful public liability claim could provide money to pay for your losses such as:
- Hospital bills and other medical expenses, including future costs
- Wages you are unable to earn due to work absences caused by your injuries, both past and future
- The pain, suffering and lost enjoyment of life you endured due to the accident
- The cost of hiring help to assist you with tasks at home that you are unable to perform because of your injuries
To find out how you can maximise the benefits you receive after a public accident in Victoria, contact Henry Carus + Associates for a free claim review and confidential consultation with one of our public liability lawyers. We are ready to discuss your situation and your legal options. We operate on a No Win, No Fee basis, meaning you owe us nothing for our legal services unless we recover compensation for you.
We guarantee 100% privacy.
Your information will not be shared.