Accidents happen at any time, and usually when you least expect it. You may be driving to work, taking your children to school, or out running errands. In a split second, you could find yourself hit by another driver, facing serious and even life-threatening injuries.
Injuries resulting from motor vehicle and transport accidents can leave you with a mounting pile of debt, while impairing your ability to work or even engage in activities you once enjoyed. At a time like this, you need an experienced, dedicated law firm that will fight to ensure you get the compensation you deserve. You need Henry Carus + Associates.
Our experienced road accident lawyers understand the pressures you are facing, as well as the stress that can result from wondering how your accident claim will be settled. We provide clients with professional, highly effective legal representation when they need it the most, and can assist you in getting more out of your car accident claim.
The following includes important information regarding these types of claims, as well as how our lawyers can assist you in getting the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to receive.
The TAC Doesn’t Want You to Get The Maximum Benefits + Compensation
In the immediate aftermath of your accident, a claim form is generally submitted to the Transport Accident Commission (TAC). The TAC is the government insurer for road accidents in Victoria, and provides some benefits regardless of who was at fault for the accident.
The types of compensation and benefits the TAC provides to accident victims include the following:
- Medical expenses and rehabilitative costs
- Disability and household support services
- Loss of earnings benefits
- Family support services
- Lump sum compensation
While many people are under the impression the TAC will automatically give them the maximum amount of benefits + compensation they are entitled to for their injuries, they are often mistaken. When dealing with the TAC, it is important to remember that their objective is to reduce their costs as much as possible on each claim. The TAC does not want you to get the maximum amounts for your claim, as additional money and benefits for you hurts their bottom line.
We Want You to Get the Absolute Most Compensation Out of Your Claim
At Henry Carus + Associates, our motor vehicle accident lawyers want you to get the maximum amount of compensation for the injuries you have suffered. Our experience in dealing with the TAC has helped us to establish strong relationships with its representatives, and we have extensive knowledge not only about how the TAC evaluates claims, but also about the amount of compensation available to award to injured claimants.
If you are involved in an accident, it is in your best interests to contact us immediately, before filing a claim with the TAC. We can help guide you through the entire process, while making sure you are informed of your rights and the benefits you may be entitled to every step of the way.
At the same time, it is important to be aware of what is required of you at the accident scene. In the event a crash occurs, motorists should do the following:
- Immediately stop at the scene and use hazard lights to alert other drivers.
- Provide assistance to those injured.
- Report the accident to the proper authorities.
- Exchange information with other drivers, including name, address, and the vehicle registration number.
In addition to the above, it will prove helpful to pay attention to the details surrounding the accident, such as the time of day it occurred, where it happened and the road and weather conditions at the time, the presence of any witnesses to the accident, and any other information you think may be relevant later.
Regardless of whether or not you think your injuries are serious, seek medical attention right away, and follow all instructions given by your treatment provider. By doing your part after an accident, it will help us later to ensure you get the most out of your claim.
Ways That Work on Getting More Out of Your Claim
There are several ways our experienced motor vehicle accident lawyers can use to assist you in getting more out of your claim with the TAC. These include the following:
- Seeking common law damages: If we can use police reports, accident scene investigations, and witness statements to prove to the TAC that even a portion of the blame rests with another driver, you may be entitled to a lump sum, common law damages claim with the TAC. This type of compensation is generally broader and will get you more compensation fault claim.
- Utilizing the occupational therapists the TAC sends: An occupational therapist will visit to assess and report on your injuries to the TAC. While some firms discourage these types of visits as being inconvenient or intrusive, our lawyers know that it is in your best interest to encourage them. The more the therapist visits, the more they will be able to see and attest to the serious damages and impairments you are dealing with as the result of your injury. Allowing them to see the impacts your injury has had on your quality of life ensures this information will be passed along to the TAC, where it can be documented and compensated in your claim.
- Scheduling and attending regular visits with your general practitioner: Again, this allows them to chart and communicate your progress with the TAC, your prognosis and any additional treatment you may need or impairment you may suffer. The more of this type of communication the TAC receives about your injuries, the better.
Unfortunately, many law firms do not utilise these tactics when handling clients’ claims. At Henry Carus + Associates, we know that the more information the TAC receives about your accident and the extent of your injuries, the more likely they will be to settle for the most amount of compensation.
Let Us Assist You Today
If you or a loved one is injured in a transport accident, contact Henry Carus + Associates today. Our experienced motor vehicle accident lawyers can assist you in getting the maximum amount of compensation you are entitled to for your injuries. We serve Melbourne and the surrounding areas of Victoria.